1.04.2005

Tomorrow (Inuyasha)

The rain fell in a torrential downpour over the bloodied battlefield.

Inuyasha could feel the rain falling on his face as he laid on the ground, unable to move. Both of his legs had been broken earlier, along with his left arm. He could smell the blood around him, though the smell was dampened by the extensive amounts of rain. He knew from this blood that the others hadn't fared any better than him.

Inuyasha growled deeply in this throat, thankful but unthankful that he had been blinded in the fight. He knew he wouldn't want to see Kagome and the others laying dead or near death on the ground near him.

A cry sounded to his right. Kagome's voice. As quickly as he could. he rolled onto his stomach and using just his right hand, he crawled to Kagome's side.

"Kagome," he rasped out. Sniffing the air, he could smell so much of her blood through the rain.

He could feel a hand press against his cheek. "Inuyasha." Kagome's naturally soft voice was even softer now. "Are you all right?" He could hear the question and shook his head against her hand.

"Are you?" Inuyasha cringed at his own question. He already knew the answer.

"I'm cold, Inuyasha. So cold." Kagome's hand shivered against his cheek. She reached around to the back of his neck and gave a firm tug. "Come here."

Moments later, Kagome's mouth latched on to his in a deep soul-searing kiss. Her right hand, which had been around his neck, moved in the folds of his kimono.

The kiss seemed to last a thousand years and a brief second all in one before Kagome's body went rigid. One final puff of breath escaped into Inuyasha's mouth and her hand fell from his kimono.

Fueled by anguish, Inuyasha curled around Kagome's still form and cried. Cried until he could no longer stay awake.

*~*

The next thing Inuyasha knew, he was dry. Dry and warm.

"So you are awake then?" A voice spoke moments later from somewhere in front of him.

Inuyasha turned and opened his eyes. He was still blind. Sniffing, all he could smell was the blood and rain from earlier.

"Who's there?" he called hesitantly.

"Can't you even recognize my voice, Inuyasha?" It came again, this time from Inuyasha's right side.

"Sesshoumaru," Inuyasha choked out. "Where am I?"

Sesshoumaru seemed hesitant for a moment. "At the house."

The house. It could only mean the place where he had grown up until InuTaisho had died and Sesshoumaru had kicked him out, leaving the big house empty while he patrolled the lands left to him by their father.

"What am I doing here?"

"I found you near dead on the borders of the western lands. Rin asked me to help you." Sesshoumaru seemed angry for a moment, that Rin had so much influence on him.

"Where's Kagome? What did you do with her?"

"She's dead, Inuyasha." He spoke it so softly Inuyasha had to strain to catch the sentence. "As was everyone else when I found you." A bit of sadness leaked into Sesshoumaru's voice and surprised Inuyasha's still fogged mind. "She's been buried in the house gardens along with the others at Rin's request."

Looking in his general direction, Inuyasha gave a blind -- but confused -- look. "Why are you doing this, Sesshoumaru?"

Sesshoumaru sighed softly as Inuyasha heard a piece of paper crinkle in his hand. "Maybe someday you will find out." Inuyasha heard him leave the room, assuming he was leaving him to rest.

*~*

As he left the room, Sesshoumaru read the piece of paper he had found in the folds of Inuyasha's kimono.


When tomorrow starts without me,
and I'm not there to see;
If the sun should rise and find your eyes,
all filled with tears for me;
I wish so much you wouldn't cry,
the way you did today,
while thinking of the many things,
we didn't get to say.

I know how much you love me,
as much as I love you,
and each time that you think of me,
I know you'll miss me too;
But when tomorrow starts without me,
please try to understand,
that an Angel came and called my name,
and took me by the hand,
and said my place was ready,
in heaven far above,
and that I'd have to leave behind,
all those I dearly love.

But as I turned to walk away,
a tear fell from my eye,
for all life, I'd always thought,
I didn't want to die.
I had so much to live for,
so much yet to do,
it seemed almost impossible,
that I was leaving you.

I thought of all the yesterdays,
the good ones and the bad,
I thought of all the love we shared,
and all the fun we had.

If I could relive yesterday,
just even for awhile,
I'd say goodbye and kiss you
and maybe see you smile.

But then I fully realized,
that this could never be,
for emptiness and memories,
would take the place of me.

And when I thought of worldly things,
I might miss come tomorrow,
I thought of you, and when I did,
my heart was filled with sorrow.

But when I walked through heaven's gates,
I felt so much at home.
When God looked down and smiled at me,
from His great golden throne,


He said, "This is eternity,
and all I've promised you".
Today for life on earth is past,
but here it starts anew.
I promise no tomorrow,
but today will always last,
and since each day's the same day,
there's no longing for the past.

But you have been so faithful,
so trusting and so true.
Though there were times you did some things,
you knew you shouldn't do.
But you have been forgiven
and now at last you're free.
So won't you take my hand
and share my life with me?

So when tomorrow starts without me,
don't think we're far apart,
for every time you think of me,
I'm right here, in your heart.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

NOTES: the poem, by Erica Shea Liupaeter, can be found here

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

why is inuyasha blind

7:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home